Is this your problem?
After uploading your scanned PDF documents to CM/ECF, CM/ECF slows down or becomes inoperable.
The problem probably is that the PDF files that you attached are too large. Generally, we're trying to keep the file size of scanned PDF documents under 2 megabytes (2 MB, which is equal to 2,000 kilobytes). You will need to check the file size of the PDF file and split the file into smaller files if the file is larger than 2 MB.
For Documents Already Scanned
First, check the document's file size. You can view the document's file size in one of two ways.
View Using My Computer or Windows Explorer
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Select the directory and the folder containing the files whose size you wish to view. Click on View, Details.
View Using Adobe Acrobat
1. Open the file in Acrobat. Click on File, Document Info, General.
2. The file size displays in bytes.
If you find a file over 2,000,000 bytes, it's too big and you will need to divide the document into smaller chunks.
Whichever method you use to check the PDF file size, if you find a file over 2 MB or 2,000 KB or 2,000,000 bytes, it's too big and you will need to divide the document into smaller chunks.
Back to top
For Documents to be Scanned
Although you should scan the document as usual, try to limit the scanning to no more than 50-page chunks of the document per file name. (Note: Even breaking the document into 50-page batches doesn't necessarily mean that the file size will be under 2 MB. The number of pages in a document doesn't determine file size, but other factors that we won't go into here may also contribute to a large file size.)
Check the file size of the resulting PDF file by opening the document in Acrobat. Click on File, Document Info, General. The file size displays in bytes. Remember, if you find a file over 2,000,000 bytes, it's too big and you will need to divide the document into smaller chunks.
Back to top
Reducing the File Size: Here's What You Must Do
While you are in Adobe Acrobat, you can reduce the PDF file size by following these steps:
1. In Acrobat, open the file.
2. Click on Document, Extract pages.
3. Select a range of pages to delete from the original document and to save as a different file name. Check the box that says "Delete Pages After Extracting".
4. The deleted pages will appear in the Acrobat window. Click on File, Save As and save this portion of the original file as a new file name.
5. (The original document still is present; you can see it by clicking on Window and selecting it from the bottom of the drop-down list. Don't forget to save it because it will have fewer pages and be a smaller file size.)
6. Do steps 2-5 as many times as necessary to reduce the document's file size.
7. Docket the PDF attachments to CM/ECF as you normally would.
Back to top